Saturday, April 18, 2015

Consistency in the small things.
Bravery in the big things.
Mercy in the hard things.
Courage in the tumultuous things.
Love, in all things.

Why is consistency so difficult? If we had bravery, would we be more consistent? If we possessed unlimited amounts of mercy both with ourselves, and with others, would we be more brave?
Is Courage the same thing as bravery? Isn't courage the ability to face insurmountable difficulties and grave danger with the tranquility of a child cradled in it's mother's (or father's) arms? How then, is bravery different? Maybe bravery is more than courage. Maybe bravery is the ability to stare down an immediate threat with the cold steel glare of an immovable fortress, and in the face of such a foe, emerge the victor. Love would bind all of these virtues together as one electrifying, life affirming force and make it so that all courageous, merciful, and brave beings would be consistent.
Consistency has always been such a difficult virtue for me. I don't think I'm alone.
God knew that we wouldn't be consistent. That's why he provided the Holy Spirit, our Comforter and Helper. And that's why He sent Jesus. Our Redeemer, Savior, and Friend. To be called a Friend of God is no small thing. Why would He choose me when I am the least consistent person I know?
Because He is perfect. Perfect Love. Perfect Courage. Perfect Mercy. Perfect Bravery. Perfect Consistency. And my life is hid with His. So He has become my love, my courage, my mercy, my bravery, my consistency. To be broken is to know the bottom rung of life's pain. It's only in being broken we can be made whole and receive the grace he wants to give us. And it is only through brokenness that we learn the lessons of what consistency, bravery, mercy, courage and love and what they can teach us through life's experiences. I want to choose to walk with Him and talk with Him through life's pain. I want to choose to try to listen to His voice and make some sense of what is going on around me. On my own, it doesn't make sense why things are the way they are. Why the predominant theme of my life is, "Wait! I'm not finished here yet!!", "Wait, I will take care of you in my way. You don't need to fear. I will not let any harm come to you. You will be provided for in due time." Still, there are many things he calls us to do in the meantime and they are Courage. Bravery. Mercy. And, yes, Love.

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never fails! (1 Cor 13)

Carpe Diem!
xoxoxo ~

Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment