Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Slow Down, Mama...



Today, as I watched my youngest sweet son sing his heart out and play his recorder at his 3rd grade school concert, I heard these words rattle around in the recesses of my mind and propel themselves to the frontal lobe with choked back sobs of love and tenderness. “Slow Down, Mama....slow down and savor these moments as sweet memories to be bottled and treasured up into your heart! Lay aside everything else that tugs on your time and attention! These moments are fading fast, as you well know from having young adults. Time slips by when you’re least expecting it and your babies are making their own decisions and way in life.” 

I renewed a vow today that when the pressures are mounting the messes are out of control, and the bickering and fault finding are at their worst, to intentionally look for a new perspective from which to regain clarity. Most days we moms just run on auto pilot, burrowing down in a sort of numb existence to the break-neck pace of life. We crave adventure, romance and to nurture that part of us that is creative and alive! Before too long, we sink back into the pit of mere survival mode longing to scratch our way toward fresh soil to dig deep our roots and grow.

 Our children look to us to provide the model for living and all relationships in the home ! No pressure, right ? I’ve often thought my role in this was perfection. I am finding out that all they want is my time. Time to read, time to play, help with a school project or homework, cheering them on in their endeavors and dreams, time to listen to some new story happening at school or some adventure. Yes, they test the boundaries and it’s a good thing they are cute. Their cheekiness and belligerence are sometimes overwhelmingly exhausting. In these moments, sometimes it’s all I can do not to blow my steam like a tea kettle, and plenty of times...I do. Who wants all these people in their way making things complicated in daily navigating life? I have discovered the answer to that question is that I do!! I pray that they see that mama really does love them and desires their lives be enriched with good things. I pray that the good things they choose are of eternal value and that I am laying the foundation for that while my time is still theirs...and not my own. 

Late this evening before dinner, after having hand washed a ton of dishes earlier in the day (dishwasher has been on strike over a year!), I made a remark through literal frustrated tears and  said, “Every time I turn around, the DISHES ARE HAVING BABIES!!!” 😆😂 The look from  3rd grade son, and eruption of giggles over such a quizzical statement, was sure worth every ounce of holding back while also providing ample training of personal responsibility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment